Fehr & Peers is pleased to announce the launching of its latest technical initiative – ASAP. It encapsulates our innovative efforts to harness Big Data to help our clients make faster and better-informed decisions regarding their transportation investments.
Two important trends are converging to fundamentally transform the landscape of transportation planning and engineering:
- Data is Steadily Increasing – Recent technological advances are fueling exponential growth in the quantity and quality of available data that can transform our understanding of a community’s transportation needs. From collecting traffic data via in-vehicle technology, to charting origin-destination patterns via cell phones, to tracking real-time rideshare information via social media, we now have access to so much more information on which to base important decisions. And new sources are emerging all the time.
- Resources are Steadily Declining – Public agencies find it increasingly difficult to maintain adequate staffing due to an eroding tax base and large debt obligations, and they struggle to fund training to keep their staff apprised of the latest industry trends. Meanwhile, the buying power of our current funding sources, especially the gas tax, has been declining for decades, and economic concerns make it difficult for voters and legislators to approve new funding sources.
So how do we know what types of data we really need? How can we be sure we’re making the best choices given our limited resources? To realize its full value, the data must be filtered, synthesized, and ultimately harnessed so it can truly inform decisions. This is where Fehr & Peers comes in.
Fehr & Peers is uniquely positioned to help clients navigate the challenges of leveraging Big Data data in a world of limited resources. We combine our wealth of experience in community-based transportation with our expertise in developing innovative solutions that harness the latest available data to solve our clients’ most pressing transportation problems.
Here are some examples of how our ASAP services help clients:
- Better infrastructure design decisions using unprecedented quantities of mobile locations including cell phone and GPS data
- More accurate impact assessments of new land development proposals using data highly targeted to the characteristics of a specific site
- More efficient transit service plans and station designs matched to the unique user demand profile of a given system
- More accurate engineering designs and cost estimates using LIDAR mapping technology
- Optimal sizing and placement of shared systems including bike share and car share facilities and electric vehicle charging stations